Back in the old days, when I worked on crystal structures with 15 or 20 atoms or so, the symptoms of missed crystallographic symmetry included instability of the refinement, high correlations between parameters, and (relatively) large deviations between equivalent bond distances and bond angles. There can be real consequences of missing symmetry and divergences between copies of molecules, even when resolution and data quality were not an issue, because the refinement can become unstable. Hence, I'm always skeptical of the assumption that structures can be safely refined in space groups of too low symmetry. I've assumed that, when people chose to (or accidently) refine protein structures in lower symmetry space groups, geometrical and NCS restraints keep the refinement under control. Is there a publication somewhere that has looked at the effect of deliberate refinement in space groups of lower than correct symmetry?

Sue