Hi Jeroen,

We just bought a Stratagene Mx3005p for the Thermofluor method (also known as differential scanning fluorimetry). This was after talking to Martin, among others, he he... We haven't had it long and did our first experiments last Friday, but it produced good results straight away. We chose the Stratagene for a couple of reasons:

a) the iQ5 required a manual change of filter which would make it unuseable for qPCR, and while we don't anticipate a great deal of usage for qPCR it would be a shame to cripple such an expensive machine. The filter for the Mx3005p can be chosen in software. b) the Mx3005p uses a photomultiplier instead of a CCD to read the plate. This (according to Stratagene) leads to better uniformity of detection across the plate. I believe the iQ5 requires some kind of calibration run each time you use it.

Our first impression of the Stratagene software is very positive. We haven't tried the iQ5 but others say it's a perfectly fine machine. A couple of people who know more than most are Helena Berglund at SGC Stockholm (BioRad) and Frank Niesen at SGC Oxford (Stratagene). Whichever of these two machines you choose, SGC have produced an excellent detailed protocol and from their FTP site ftp.sgc.ox.ac.uk you can download Excel spreadsheets to calculate Tm and produce at-a- glance output for up to 96 wells from either iQ5 or Mx3005p output. SGC intend to continue supporting output from both machines.

There are cheaper models by BioRad which we didn't look into (we got a grant for the Mx3005p!) but I imagine they have sensitivity/wavelength issues.

The link to the SGC protocol is:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17853878?ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

HTH
Derek