The point where this restraint discussion regarding
counting of restraints seems to become murky imho, is when
it comes to 'independence' of restraints.

Ok - say only active and independent restraints (AIRs) count
in the determination of observation/parameter ratio,
where observations includes data and AIRs.

Then taking the following example, how many independent restraints
do I have here (leaving aside the vdW active vs inactive issue, assume
they are all inactive for simplicity).

REMARK   3  RMS DEVIATIONS FROM IDEAL VALUES    COUNT    RMS    WEIGHT

REMARK   3   BOND LENGTHS REFINED           (A):  1809 ; 0.010 ; 0.022

REMARK   3   BOND ANGLES REFINED      (DEGREES):  2451 ; 1.324 ; 1.964

REMARK   3   TORSION ANGLES, PERIOD 1 (DEGREES):   244 ; 6.466 ; 5.000

REMARK   3   TORSION ANGLES, PERIOD 2 (DEGREES):    59 ;40.002 ;25.932

REMARK   3   TORSION ANGLES, PERIOD 3 (DEGREES):   292 ;11.833 ;15.000

REMARK   3   TORSION ANGLES, PERIOD 4 (DEGREES):     2 ;15.038 ;15.000

REMARK   3   CHIRAL-CENTER RESTRAINTS    (A**3):   271 ; 0.086 ; 0.200

REMARK   3   GENERAL PLANES REFINED         (A):  2049 ; 0.006 ; 0.020

REMARK   3   NON-BONDED CONTACTS REFINED    (A):   308 ; 0.191 ; 0.200

REMARK   3   NON-BONDED TORSION REFINED     (A):   866 ; 0.174 ; 0.200

REMARK   3   H-BOND (X...Y) REFINED         (A):   131 ; 0.139 ; 0.200

REMARK   3   SYMMETRY VDW REFINED           (A):    41 ; 0.165 ; 0.200

REMARK   3   SYMMETRY H-BOND REFINED        (A):    25 ; 0.149 ; 0.200

REMARK   3

REMARK   3  ISOTROPIC THERMAL FACTOR RESTRAINTS. COUNT  RMS   WEIGHT

REMARK   3   MAIN-CHAIN BOND REFINED   (A**2):  1192 ; 1.739 ; 5.000

REMARK   3   MAIN-CHAIN ANGLE REFINED  (A**2):  1903 ; 2.691 ; 7.000

REMARK   3   SIDE-CHAIN BOND REFINED   (A**2):   646 ; 3.451 ; 9.000

REMARK   3   SIDE-CHAIN ANGLE REFINED  (A**2):   545 ; 4.886 ;11.000

Bond distances (1-2) and angles (1-3) are certainly independent and count
fully.
For B-factor restraints, I don't exactly understand what a restraint
across an angle is - is a 1-3 B-factor restraint independent of a
1-2 B-factor restraint?

The torsions can assume values independent of bond and angle, so I would
count them in. To a degree, torsions also influence VdW - a poor torsion
can 'activate' a vdW repulsion...

Planarity - even if they are implemented as 1-4 dihedrals
they are not quite independent of 1-2 and 1-3 restraints. So - no count,
half count?

Chirals are also not independent - if implemented as a volume, they
depend on 1-2, 1-3 restraints in their chivolume value in addition to
sign if they are wrong.

What H-BOND (X...Y) exactly is I don't know, suppose it is some
restraint for explicit directional H-bonds; if so, I would count them.

Soo.....what is the total count of independent restraints here?

So far I have divergent answers/opinions, and I would like to find some
agreeable compromise to this question...

Note: As we cannot know which of the nonbonded restraints were active, we
have
no clear answer for those - this is something
that REFMAC might be able to tell us - maybe an independent
active restraint count printed might be a useful number.

Best, BR