Eric,
I second Chun's reply. As the Volumetric flowrate (ml/min) is equal to the linear flowrate times the area of the column, and the linear flowrate is fixed for a particular resin (Sigma is terrible at providing this value for their resins) you basically just need to increase the diameter of you column to increase the allowable volumetric flowrate. I typically find that a 2 cm ID column gives a pretty good flowrate with agarose resins, so much so that I usually use a peristaltic pump to slow the rate of loading so I have time to drink my morning coffee. As for washing and elution I usually carry these out at the same flowrate as loading (including GST resins). Stephen

--
Stephen Weeks, Ph. D.
Drexel University College of Medicine

Phone: (+) 215-762-7316
Fax: (+) 215-762-4452

Eric Dollins wrote:
Dear protein purifiers,
Off topic question: Is there a general rule for how fast you can load,
wash and elute from affinity columns, e.g. glutathione agarose?  The
product insert from Sigma says load under gravity flow.  For the
volume of cell lysate I have, gravity loading would take an
excruciatingly long time.  I want to hook up a peristaltic pump to
speed things along, but don't really have a feel for just how fast one
can load a column in general (I realize this is also dependent on the
construct, the buffer, etc). What about the subsequently wash or
elution?
Thanks for help
Eric