In topology, long time ago, I was taught that these are indeed
'intersection curves of surfaces of the second order'. Emphasis on surface
being second order, not the curve. This was in Russian, which means that
the English terms may be different. You might also encounter 'intersection
curves of quadric surfaces'. There are seventeen types of quadric surfaces
(including real and imaginary ones) and they're a right pain in the neck
to calculate intersections of.

Artem