Hi,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:57:44PM -0000, Martyn Winn wrote:
> Anyway, these are all different representations of the same thing,
> and should work equally well so long as you know which you are
> using. The scariest thing from the last thread was that our attempt
> to document it with a REMARK 3 line is being stripped by the RCSB.

As far as I understand (but I might be wrong), there is no way of ever
seeing the PDB (meaning the format!) file as it was deposited: so all
those useful information that programs put into REMARK records are
lost.

A deposited PDB file is converted into an RCSB/EBI/MSD/wwPDB internal
format and when you click the 'PDB format' button (or download it via
FTP) you get a new rendition of this information in PDB format.

So any new information added to the PDB file by program authors, new
versions of refinement programs or users will only be there in
downloadable files if this information is properly defined, read by
the deposition parser, placed into the internal database and
transformed through the PDB creation machinery.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the current path from a PDB formatted
file on your computer to the PDB database and back to some user?

Cheers

Clemens

*
*  Global Phasing Ltd.