Hi Ngo,

your needles actually look like very thin plates. They seem promising to me.
From appearance its impossible to tell whether the crystals are detergent or
not. DDM is apparently known to form crystals, but I've never really gotten any
(DDM is very soluble). What temperature have you used? 4C would favor forming
DDM crystals. The round crystals are often seen in membrane protein
crystallization. They generally don't diffract, contain a lot of detergent
(maybe all detergent) and are very hard to get better (ie get sharp edges
and/or diffraction).
What I would do at this point is trying to get the needle/plate crystals better
(by using techniques/tricks that are used for soluble proteins, such as vary
Mg2+ salt conc and identity, temperature, volume/reservoir ratio, protein conc.
and even trying different detergents and/or mixtures including DDM). For now I
would go with the assumption that the crystals are protein.

Good luck!

Bert van den Berg
Program in Molecular Medicine
Biotech II, 373 Plantation Street, Suite 115
Worcester MA 01605
Phone: 508 856 1201 (office); 508 856 1211 (lab)
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.umassmed.edu/pmm/faculty/vandenberg.cfm