On Apr 29, 2008, at 2:25 AM, Andreas Förster wrote:
Why working with sudo is safer than working as root is not clear to me. After all, the danger is not in root but in the uneducated user.

The danger *is* in root, if for no other reason than you must type "sudo" before you issue that command with the unintended space that deletes your root directory (e.g. "rm tempstuff /*"). Beyond that, consider the malicious user who puts the following little script named "ls" in their home directory:

#! /bin/csh -f
# ls : my little script to give me (joeuser) control of this box
echo 'joeuser ALL=(ALL) ALL' >> /etc/sudoers
rm ./ls
ls $argv
# end of my little script

Then they ask you to fix something in their home dir. So what might that session look like?

% su
Password:
# cd ~joeuser
# ls

And, if you have '.' in your path, they've got your box and you didn't even know it ever happened.

That's one reason off the top of my head.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570