Hi Jennifer,

clear drops can still be brought to supersaturation by:

-transfer to wells with lower vapour pressure: exchange or add LiCl or other
concentrated salt solutions in the reservoir

-temperature gradient: place trays on ice/cold surface while hanging drops are
at higher temperature, this will draw more water out of the drops.

-transient supersaturation might be sufficient to trigger nucleation and
subsequent crystal growth: slightly open wells for a few minutes (or longer)
and close again.

-protein solubility also can strongly depend on temperature: move to 4°C etc.

... and why not using the 100mg/ml stock or concentrate even more?

Good luck,
Clemens

Quoting Jens-Christian Navarro Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi Jennifer

I just want to draw your attention the following paper regarding methylation
of Lysines, which reduces the solubility of their test proteins.

Walter
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17098187?ordinalpos=7&itool=EntrezSystem
2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum>  TS, Meier C,
Assenberg R, Au KF, Ren J, Verma A, Nettleship JE, Owens RJ, Stuart DI,
Grimes JM.

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17098187?ordinalpos=7&itool=EntrezSystem
2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum> Abstract

Lysine methylation as a routine rescue strategy for protein crystallization.

Structure. 2006 Nov;14(11):1617-22.

PMID: 17098187 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Best regards,

Jens-Christian Navarro Poulsen

Dept of Chemistry, KU

 _____