Hi

If you mean organic small molecules, then the opinion for the last 15 years at least is probably "yes, unless you know you'll have a phase change".

Most small molecule crystals don't have the same problems with needing cryoprotectants as macromolecules, due in large part to not having a large proportion of water in the lattice, so the process is somewhat more straightforward. Also, most small molecule crystals can be handled quite happily in the absence of mother liquor, and you don't have to worry about them drying out while transferring to the fibre (rather than loop) which would normally be used for mounting them. Of course, there are numerous exceptions to the "most" I'm referring to here.

In most cases you'll get a substantially better structure at cryo temperatures (of course, what "better" means may be open to debate).