Concentration of large volumes is a common bane of many biochemistry/protein
production labs. Diaflow can be quite expensive and regular concentrators
tend to take forever. Thus, my preferred solution is not to use
concentrators at all.

1. AS cuts do not really *require* high protein concentrations. Hit it with
high enough AS, and most proteins will precipitate. However, high AS cuts
present a different problem - namely the density of the 'floaties' can be
close enough to (or even less than) the density of the AS solution so that
settling via centrifugation becomes difficult. Therefore:

2. Why concentrate at all when you can instead dilute the protein solution
down to the ionic strength where the Q column is binding, then load the
whole thing. As a rule of thumb, if you dilute to below 5-8 mS/cm most
proteins (with the exception of seriously basic ones) will bind to Q resins.
You can load in batch (by stirring the resin for an hour or two with your
diluted sample), then spin the resin (gently), resuspend in small volume of
buffer and pack a column. This will help you avoid flow issues, if your
column cannot take enough pressure to allow fast flow loading.

When you elute the protein from the column it will act as a concentrator
since the elution profile may be controlled by means of gradient
adjustments.

If you have e.g. His-tag on the protein, you can use it to concentrate as
well, via the same general principle.

Do the math: at 20 ml/min (which is not even remotely close to what a
properly packed XK 50 column would allow) you will only need 50 minutes to
pass 1 liter of solution through your ion exchange column. In comparison,
concentrating 1 liter down to e.g. 20 ml can take 30-60 minutes on a diaflow
device, and several hours using a conventional concentrator.

If you use batch, then the volume becomes nearly irrelevant and the time
scheme looks like this:

Stir (or nutate) protein solution with resin - 2 hrs. Spin the whole thing -
30 minutes at 5000 rpm. Resuspend, pack a column - 20 minutes. Run column -
30 minutes. This way you can process arbitrary amounts of stuff (up to the
limit of your centrifugation volume, typically 6 liters) in about 3 hours.

Artem

P.S. It's kind of sad that people forget the 'poor student' techniques of
protein biochemistry.