> I am working with a protein that turns a yellowish-brown color when it is
> concentrated to around 2 mg/ml or higher in a small volume (a few hundred
> uL).  I was wondering if the protein bound a metal or other prosthetic
> group that would give it this color?  The protein's color somewhat
> resembles iron binding proteins, but there is no peak in the 400 nm range
> that would suggest heme, and an iron sulfur cluster is not that likely
> since there are only five cysteines in the protein.  Proteins with
> structures homologous to the one I am studying bind magnesium, but are not
> know to bind other metals.

This does not rule out other metals, though.  For instance, protein kinases
in eukaryotes always use magnesium, but the ones in TB - which are nearly
identical in global structure (with > 30% sequence identity) and appear to
be enzymatically similar - use manganese instead, as do several other TB
homologs of magnesium-binding proteins.  This is a quirk of TB's physiology
but there are certainly other protein families (glyoxalases, dioxygenases)
that vary in metal preference depending on organism and substrate
preference.  I don't know if Mn would cause that color (although some Mn
compounds are brown or orange-brown); however, there are many ligands that
could.  Heme will also change color depending on iron oxidation state, and
possibly local chemical environment.  Endogenously purified full-length E.
coli catalase, for instance, is green, but a common proteolytic fragment
(from the same prep) is yellow-brown.

Any information about what this color might
> suggest about the protein or how I could analyze possible bound metals or
> prosthetic groups using only a small amount of protein would be helpful.

Mass spec, obviously; if it's a metal, ICP-AES may be more effective, but
I'm not sure how much protein you need.  You can also use X-ray fluorescence
to identify metals, but as far as I know this requires a synchrotron.
 Sometimes the visual light spectrum alone is enough to tell you what's
there, but it can be difficult to cross-reference this with published data
since (AFAIK) there is no online database of spectra.