From: Patrick Loll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Sent: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 6:01 am
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Progresss with Stereo 3D under Mac OS X Leopard

People's feelings about using stereo seem to be highly idiosyncratic, but for
many of us who are pro-stereo, the preference is VERY STRONG.
Pat

On Sep 16, 2008, at 8:26 PM, Warren DeLano wrote:

CCP4bb,

Some graphics news:? Full operating-system support for stereo 3D has at

last been restored on Mac OS X Leopard, but NOT in Leopard's X11 just

yet (the Xquartz open-source community will hopefully soon remedy

this...).

While today's fix is great for native Mac OpenGL applications like

MacPyMOL, my fear is that other critical applications will still be

unable to support stereo 3D under Leopard because of a reliance upon

X11/GLX for OpenGL. ?

While Qt-based programs may now work fine in stereo 3D, X11-based apps

such as open-source PyMOL are definitely still mono 3D-only under

Leopard 10.5.5.

Perhaps some of the other software developers can chime in soon

regarding their support for stereo 3D under Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.5?? At

the very least, I am thinking of: ?

ccp4mg, O, coot, and VIDA/AFITT, as well as perhaps Chimera, VMD, and

MOE.

Apologies if I left out something important!? Along those lines, what

other "go to" molecular graphics apps are crystallographers using on

Macs these days?? In other words, who else should we/Apple lean on?

Also, do crystallographers still consider stereo 3D to be a

high-priority or must-have feature in a graphics workstation? ?

Cheers,

Warren

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Professor?of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology

Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program

Drexel University College of Medicine

Room 10-102 New College Building

245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497