Dear all,

Suppose I want to data mine the PDB to find a set of structures
containing a motif that is characterized by an unusual conformation of
backbone atoms over a short stretch of residues.  This structural motif
does not correspond to any specific amino acid sequence; the residues
could be anything, as long as they conform to the right backbone
conformation, within an RMSD of 1 angstrom or so.  I then want to filter
the list of "hits" with a solvent accessibility criterion, and then with
a sequence criterion at one amino acid position within the motif.

This project is similar to one described previously by Richard Jackson
and Robert Russell in J Mol Biol (2000) 296, 325-334.  They wrote "The
coordinates of a probe structure are compared to each segment of the
same length within representatives from the SCOP database.  Secondary
structure assignments were taken from the DSSP database, and relative
solvent accessibilities calculated using NACCESS."

For a person without prior experience in data mining structural
databases, where would be a good place to start?  Can this type of
search be done through a web server?  What current software is best
suited for the job?  Are there any with user-friendly interfaces,
helpful tutorials, and the like?  Thanks for any suggestions.

Evette

Evette S. Radisky, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
Griffin Cancer Research Building, Rm 310
4500 San Pablo Road
Jacksonville, FL 32224
(904) 953-6372 (office)
(904) 953-0046 (lab)