From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of E
rajakumar
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 5:22 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Cryoprotectant for protein-DNA complex crystal

Dear All
I am working on protein-DNA complex crystals for data
collection. These crystals are grown in 15-20 % of
PEG3350 or PEG4000 with pH of 6 to 7. When I soak the
crystals more than a minute in the cryo solution
(15-20% of Glycerol or ethylenglycol + reservoir) the
resolution of diffraction is becoming weak (reducing
to 6.0 A from 4.5 A) and also the spots are getting
spread (increase in mosaicity). Appears that Glycerol
or Ethylene glycol not good cryoprotectants in this
case. Is there any study on effect of cryoprotectant
on protein-DNA complex crystal and protein-DNA complex
dissociation?  I also want to know which type
(organics, oils, polyols, sugars, polymers.) of
cryoprotectant is most preferred in protein-DNA
complex crystal.
Thanking you in advance
Rajakumara

E. Rajakumara