Truncate doesn't alter the intensities, except by an arbitrary scale factor. What it does is estimate |F|

But it does produce some useful statistics

Phil

On 10 Nov 2008, at 13:09, James Whittle wrote:

Dear ccp4ers,

I hope you won't mind revisiting more twinning questions, but this thread has me considering whether I have treated some recently collected, most likely twinned, data in the best way.

Last week I was told that I ought to let phenix.refine choose freeR flags for twinned data, as that program takes into account twinning in choosing the set. Is it then better to provide the intensities (as a scalepack file) directly to phenix.refine, or is scaling them with TRUNCATE still good practice?

My initial thought was that the difference between using TRUNCATE or not would be marginal, but perhaps in the case of twinned data it is better to skip that step?

Please excuse me for bringing up twinning again, as there seems already to be disproportionate coverage of it on the bulletin board...

--James

on the experimental sigma(I). This enables all the data to be
used and facilitates the refinement of twinned structures.