On Nov 11, 2008, at 16:12, Tim Gruene wrote:

Hi Jorge,

using a system where you can cleave off the His-tag (with TEV, FactorX, etc) adds a purification step which is complementary to the first purification step (Ni-column etc). In my experience this results in very pure protein which makes it more likely to crystallise.

3C protease seems to work really well and would recommend it over TEV or FX. One could look at the His-SUMO tag ideas for alternative idea for cleavage and some aid in solubilization.

Therefore I would always choose such a system and not spend much time on trying to crystallise the protein with the His-tag attached.

If you have the His-protein always try to crystalize it. We got one very nice structure with a His-zipper from the Tag helping to form the lattice. Consider the no-tag as yet another alternative for crystallization trials - but if that does not work cleave it !

        A.

Tim

--
Tim Gruene