On Nov 18, 2008, at 11:41 AM, Anna S Gardberg wrote:

3. Eddie Snell made the point that most crystallographic software cannot take advantage of multiple processors yet. Still, as some people pointed, it is often convenient to try several refinement options at the same time, so there would be greater convenience with more processors.

I've used phenix to calculate iterative build composite omit maps.

I've also used phenix's autobuild after autosol option to do some automated building at around 2.0A.

Tom Terwilliger said that scoring multiple heavy atom sites with AutoSol will be supported sometime in the future.

All of these methods benefit with multiple cores. I personally would invest in a multicore system, or better yet a small cluster.

Nobody here has talked about RAID. When it comes to integrating images, the speed up to using a mirrored setup or a raid 5 array is quite noticeable than just a single drive.

Cheers
FR

Francis Reyes M.Sc.
215 UCB
University of Colorado at Boulder

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 67BA8D5D

8AE2 F2F4 90F7 9640 28BC  686F 78FD 6669 67BA 8D5D