Folks,

This discussion is now dangerously close to a philosophical discourse
regarding the differences between homoplasy, homology, and analogy. Throw
into the mix synapomorphy and symplesiomorphy - and we've got ourselves a
cladistic analysis soup sprinkled with the croutons of phylogeny.

I do not claim to even be a novice in this field as my knowledge of the
associated science(*) is microscopic -- but I do have a deep respect for the
underlying philosophy, logic, and mathematics and therefore would hazard to
suggest the following:

Maximum likelihood, maximum parsimony, or Bayesian inference (or other
approaches) are all 'apparently good' methods that have found many
practically useful applications. We've adopted many of the terms from
statistics and taxonomy - and sometimes we inadvertently twist their meaning
to the point of error. May we all be forgiven for this - because the
alternative to such lighthearted forgiveness is the requirement for absolute
technical correctness of every piece of scientific text anyone has ever
published. I know that I cannot pass the perfection test, and I do not think
that any of us can, either. I think that we don't just live in glass houses
- a more correct analogy in this case would be houses built of soap bubbles.

With this in mind I'd like to wish us all Happy Holidays (whichever ones you
prefer to celebrate). May your structures grow fat and happy.

Artem

* It is helpful to remember that the terminology we (structural biologists)
use to compare protein structures and sequences is mostly derived from
advanced statistics and taxonomic analysis that both predate structural
biology (in its modern sense) by a fair margin. While it is fun and useful
to assign relationships and build taxonomic trees - it may help to remember
that what we end up with are models and/or estimates. We cannot entirely
avoid bias in taxonomic statistical analysis because optimality criteria are
something we come up with ourselves, and there is no inherent principle by
which they can be judged.