Jon,

Riding hydrogens are *not* part of your model, they are part of the
algorithm used to predict observations.  Thus, the information is
automatically included when you report the software used for refinement.

There are definitely some (many) parameters that are never included in
the deposited pdb file.  Some are built into software, some simply
omitted.  This may be wrong, but in my humble opinion riding hydrogens
are easy to recalculate and thus their inclusion constitutes redundancy.

BTW, I've seen some deposited pdb files which had water molecules given
with hydrogens (e.g. 1aa7 - 2.1A resolution, and look - hydrogens have
zero (!) B-factors).  I think the best strategy is to give up hope that
every structure in the PDB will conform to your set of ideals and
realize that people are free to interpret their data the way they want
(of course, assuming that nearly everyone else will disagree with at
least some aspect of it).

Ed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore