From: Mark Agacan Monday - January 12, 2009 4:31 PM
To: Mark Agacan
Subject: X-Stream summary

Apologies for this slightly off topic question:

I am having a great deal of trouble with my X-Stream 2000 cryostream system and
I wondered if other users have similar problems.

I've replaced almost all components (new GAST compressors, helium recharges,
filters, etc., etc.) in the last couple of months but there is almost always
icing of any cryo within 10 - 20 minutes of mounting a loop, and it is
adversely affecting data collections.

It appears like there is too much moisture in the cold or wam streams but the
tubes have been fully dried out as per Rigaku advice.

This X-Stream is attached to a generator with inverted phi axis and and i'm
wondering if this could be the source of the problem, as the X-Stream for
another generator in the same laboratory with normal phi axis does not ice up.
Can some sort of turbulence around the loop caused by backdraft from the cryo
hitting the inverted phi axis / camera mount cause excess humidity and lead to
icing on the pin, loop and crystal?

Has anyone else got this problem?  Any suggestions would be very gratefully
appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Mark

Hi Mark

We had a LOT of pain with icing, and it really comes down to one thing:
water in the gN2.  And don't expect to measure some other way whether
you have it, because your X-stream (or Cobra) is the most sensitive
water meter there is.

In our case, the symptom was the X-stream (and later Cobra) blocking up
after between several days and several hours.  And we solved it by
ditching the gN2 generators we were using, and organising boil-off gN2
(much purer).

The secondary effect of sample icing:  we'd see this as well if we had
something (e.g. collimator) poking into the cold stream*:  that causes
turbulence which draws in moisture.  Worst case you see ice flakes flick
onto the crystal in real time;  best case you get an ice ball after a
few minutes to hours.

(* technically, the stationary phase between the cold and warm streams.)

Hope that helps.
phx

***************************************
Hi,

If you have ice on the crystal (loop) but no blockages of the cryostream
itself (and this seems to be what you're saying), it is unlikely to be a
problem with the LN2 (although I only have experience with Oxford
Crystreams, but I imagine this also applies to X-streams).

Our main problems are turbulence (collimator poking into the gas
stream(s) or gas 'bouncing' back from something just beyond the crystal
- moving things even a little may help here) and drafts due to
'powerful' air-conditioning.

As you state that one of your setups is affected and not the other, it
may well be the case that an air conditioning vent is blowing onto your
setup, and disturbing the gas streams. We resorted to hanging plastic
sheeting around two sides of our set-up and this made a vast difference.

HTH,

Johan

mark

we also have an inverted phi, and so probably our layout
is similar to yours (we're also rigaku). we had icing problems
that were cured by directing the airflow from the a/c unit directly
down, rather than across the room (and towards the x-stream).

turn off your a/c, and see if a fresh cryo still ices up in 20-30 mins.
if so, then re-direct the airflow or build a plastic tent!

rick

Hi Mark,

In a similar setup (X-stream 2000, inverted phi, we have had no problem
with our X-stream.)

Cheers,

Zsolt

Dr. Zsolt Bocskei
sanofi-aventis
Chemical and Analytical Sciences
16 rue d'Ankara
67000 Strasbourg
France

We've been able to run months with an old Xstream 2000 system, so that
shouldn't be the problem. Unlike Frank, we haven't had problems with water
in the nitrogen from a nitrogen generator.

If Frank is correct, that it's water, then either the molecular sieves
need to be replaced, or there is ice buildup and blockage in the coldhead.
Usually blockage in the coldhead means that you can't get down in temp, or
can't maintain it within 1 degree or less. We do bring the temp up, run it
at RT over the weekend to dry things out, and then bring it down for
routine cooling.

If it's turbulence, then you don't have the warm and cold flow rates set
correctly. One thing you can see immediately, upon getting down to 100K,
is how far is the frosting plume from the tip of the nozzle. If you adjust
the flow rates, you can move that plume, caused by turbulence, closer or
further from the nozzle. It's also possible that there is something in the
nozzle that is causing turbulence no matter what the flow rates are, and
your vendor needs to look at that.

Bernie Santarsiero

Hi Mark, can you send me a photo of your setup?  I would like to see crystal,
nozzle, tube and cold head please.

I'm sure others will respond as well.
Thanks,  jim

We have had the same problem and I must admit that the cause is still
unknown.   The icing issues seem to correlate with the weather, with icing
occurring when the humidity is high.  One thing that sometimes works is to
turn up the flow rate.  We run at rates of 60-90 at temperature of -150.

John Tanner <tanne...@missouri.edu>  Monday - January 12, 2009 2:52 PM

When we initially set up our X-stream with an inverted phi goniometer, there
was a huge icing problem, just as you describe. The installer had oriented the
cold stream so it was approximately horizontal. When we re-aligned the cold
stream so it was blowing upward at angle of roughly 45 deg the problem went
away. I speculate that the stream was encountering the lower part of the pin
before it encountered the crystal, and that this was leading to some
deleterious turbulence (but that's pure speculation).

Other comments:  We also have a dehumidifier in the lab that's running 24/7.

On a few occasions I have (by mistake) left the helium flowing through the
focusing optics set at too high a flow rate; this completely ruins the cold
stream and leads to massive icing problems.

Good luck,

Pat Loll

Further to this, one should remove kinds and "low" bends in the tubing,
not because moisture accumulates there, but because it's possible that
liquid nitrogen accumulates in those spots.  If LN2 accumulates it will
eventually be enough to block the gas flow in a kind of sputtering action
that you will not see, but if the gas flow is blocked even for a fraction
of a second, then moist air will collapse towards your crystal.

Maybe you should have the engineer lower the cold head on its stand if you
need to smooth out the position of the tube.

Mark,

What bothers me about your message is that you already have talked to Rigaku.
Until now we have never been able to create a problem that they could not
diagnose and help me solve from remote. In danger of offending ccp4 readers:
specialized Rigaku experts are a remarkable source for information and
solutions, probably better than we are.

Your most likely problem is that your nitrogen is not dry? Specifically, check
your air dryer (sorry, nitrogen dryer) that it works appropriately. Very
specifically, there reside two compressors inside the air dryer and if one no
longer works, the quality of your nitrogen stream degrades. It may not be
apparent if both compressors work, one can supply all the pressure and volume
you need and is sufficiently noisy that you would not notice the second being
silent. Of course this problem becomes obvious when you open up the cabinet.
(Yes, of course this happened to us once before and in our case the compressor
wiring was fickle, as in, working when the cabinet was open and not (always)
working when the cabinet was closed; took FOREVER to find the problem.)

Your second most likely reason is that the warm stream (outer stream) is not
sufficiently protecting your cold stream from humidity, but this is not
affected by your phi-axis position. We have two inverted phi-axes and we do not
see icing, so there is no fundamental reason why the phi-axis should not be
inverted.

Mark

Please make sure there is no air vent on the ceiling that is directly blowing
air down onto the crystal.

Sridhar

Did you try switching the generators over between the two systems,
keeping the stream ends the same? It might help to divide and conquer
your problem. Whenever we have icing with Oxford systems it seems to
come for turbulent flow or poor alignment of the nozzle. Turning off the
air conditioning in the room to avoid strong air flows around the
instrument can help. Icing never seems to depend on anything supplying
the head, as the damn thing blocks with ice in the heat exchanger long
before any moisture can get through it.

Good luck

Jon

Hi

I don't think I have much to add, but thought I'd throw this in anyway:

1) As everyone said, get stuff out of the stream.

2) How close to the pin are you? I like it as close as possible without
seeing a shadow on the image.

3) Flows. I use a flow lower than reccommended. I like the warm flow to be
somewhat larger than the cold flow (35 42). During the summer, the humidity
goes up here, so, when that's a problem, I increase the warm flow. What are
your flows?

4) Geometry. The flow should hit the crystal first, then the rest of the
pin. In other words, you want the nozzle to be on the side of the crystal
away from the base of the pin. On an inverted phi, this would mean coming
from underneath the crystal. Ensure that the stream passes the base and
doesn't get turbulence from that. The only thing either stream should hit is
the pin (after it's hit the crystal). Do you use the thin, stainless kind?

5) Our Xstream has a filter bank, which I've been told is on the inside of
the cabinet on the generators. Ensure that the first filter (the water
separator) is not wet. If there is a lot of water, this will actually vent
loudly, so I doubt this is the problem. Even when we had very wet input gas,
this cleaned it up nicely and there wasn't a problem at the crystal.

6) Each N2 separator has a vent on the side. You should be able to feel cool
gas coming from here.

7) Input pressure to the filter bank should never be < 100 at any point.
Perhaps this number is different for you system?

Since you have the other system working, 1-4 should have been dealt with.
Not sure any of this will be useful. Good Luck. Let us know what happens...

Ed

_____________________________________
Dr Mark Agacan
Scientific Officer,
Division of Biological Chemistry
and Drug Discovery,
Wellcome Trust Biocentre,
College of Life Sciences,
Dow St.,
University of Dundee,
Dundee, DD1 5EH
Tel: +44 1382 388751
Fax: +44 1382 345764
The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096