Dear all,

I have a crystal structure of a protein whose first 40 residues are in a helical conformation. This helix was found to be bent, with the bend occurring at residues 27-30, by an angle of roughly 60 deg . We believe this bend was caused by crystal packing forces as this helix nicely packs in with the neighboring symmetry related molecules. I was wondering if anybody has any references of similar cases where conformations have been altered due to crystal packing.

Thanks to all in advance.

-Shahila

Shahila Mehboob, PhD.
Visiting Research Assistant Professor
Center for Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, M/C870
University of Illinois at Chicago
900 South Ashland Ave.
Chicago, IL 60607
Phone: 312-413-9304 (lab)