Hi Jonathan,

Pitch, Roll and Yaw come from flight dynamics, see e.g. http://www.answers.com/topic/pitch-yaw-roll.
With X parallel to the X-ray beam, Z pointing to the Zenith and Y being perpendicular to X & Y, they correspond to the roty, rotz and rotx of the detector with respect to the primary beam. So, they are dependent on the beam line setup.
In principle, the pitch roll and yaw should be independent of omega, kappa (or chi for that matter), phi, theta-swing or detector distance.
In theory there could be a difference between the
Pitch, Roll and Yaw at small and at large distance, e.g. if your detector track is bent or curved.
I have not seen this in practice with the equipment I most commonly use.

As far as I know, there is one integration program that I know of
(SAINT), that uses this definition of detector-rotations.

Best wishes,

Bram

jonathan elegheert wrote:
Dear bb,

can somebody explain to me the exact definitions for detector roll, pitch and yaw? Can they be detector dependent or rather dependent on the beamline setup? Is there a relationship with the goniometer position?

Many thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Dr. Bram Schierbeek
Application Scientist Structural Biology

Bruker AXS B.V.
Oostsingel 209, P.O.Box 811
2600 AV Delft, the Netherlands
Tel.:   +31 (15) 2152508