Hi Lisa,

in addition to what Joern suggested, there are two other options:

1) You can run "phenix.metal_coordination" that will create additional restraints for Mg atoms:

phenix.metal_coordination model.pdb

2) Not the best ways of doing this, but just to mention so you have a complete list of options. After you have added Mg atoms and optimized them in electron density, you can continue refining your structure with phenix.refine while keeping the coordinates of Mg atoms fixed. You can do this, for example, as following:

phenix.refine model.pdb data.hkl refine.sites.individual="not element Mg"

Pavel.