On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Nalam, Madhavi wrote:
> Hello:
> I am trying to refine a structure at 3 A resolution using TLS refinement.
> After 8-10 cycles of TLS refinement, R-free and R-factor converges. But
> R-free starts going up again from the first round of restrained refinement.
> My question now is can I stop just after TLS refinement without doing any
> restrained refinement?

In the "Refinement Parameters" panel of the ccp4i interface to refmac5, select
'refine _overall_ temperature factors' rather than 'refine _isotropic_
temperature factors'.

> If so, the PDB file contains ANISOU cards for the atoms. Does this mean
> anisotropic refinement is performed on the atoms which should not be the case
> for a 3 A structure?

No.  The ANISOU records contain the Uij approximation to the result of applying
your TLS model to each atom.

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center