Some time ago, I had a dataset which turned out to be P31 with a dimer
sitting on the three-fold axis.  The only way I found to process it was
to run twinned refinement in CNS with (-h,-k,l) and twinning fraction of
0.5.  R/Rfree are 20/24% at 2.4A resolution, so the model must be right
at least to some extent.  Good news is that I can figure out the dimer,
the bad news is that ligand binding site is not quite interpretable (it
was missing a loop in MR model and I can't build it from the density I
get).  So my question is: what is the right way (if any) to improve maps
in such a case?

Of course, it's quite possible that the aforementioned loop is simply
disordered in which case nothing can be done, I presume.

Thanks for your help.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore