Dear all,

The MALLS instruments on-line with an FPLC and with an RI detector, should provide an 'absolute MW', shape independent, and indeed in our hands they do well. Until yesterday, where a 21kD protein pretends to be 25 kD. We did the mass spec anyway, and its 21kD as we expected to the residue, but I am still puzzled by that result.

One central assumption for the MALLS formulas, is that dn/dc, the specific refractive index increment, is constant for unmodified proteins, made by aa with no sugars etc. Literature suggests dn/dc values for proteins to be constant and between 0.189/0.190 is a good value, with minimal buffer dependence for aqueous buffers with 'the usual' salts.

I am a rather bad physicist, but my reading tells me that dn/dc, and thus light scattering, depends to the "laser-light induced dipole in the molecule". Is there any reason to believe that in theory a molecule with a very particular charge distribution (eg a small DNA binding protein which is already a 'dipole') would have significantly different dn/dc values? Is anyone aware of such an experiment? Literature searches were in vain ...

Best -

Tassos