Bernhard and Ian,

Since you ask, SHELXL defines a chiral volume as the volume of the
'unit-cell' that can be constructed using the three interatomic
vectors from the atom in question. I think that I took this from
PROLSQ, and that Bernhard's formula (which corresponds to the
value of a determinant) should give the same answer. SHELXL
restricts chiral volumes to cases where an atom makes exactly
three bonds to other non-hydrogen atoms; hydrogen atoms are
ignored. The sign is determined by evaluating the determinant
with the rows representing the three vectors in the order of
their ASCII codes, and so is independent of the order of the
atoms in the input file. This means that the alpha carbon in
the 19 standard chiral L-amino-acids will always have a chiral
volume of about +2.5; it would have been confusing if I had
used the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog R and S rules for the sign because
of Cys. CB of Ile has a (SHELX) chiral volume of 2.495 but CB
of Thr is -2.628. However the CHIV instruction in SHELXL also
has other uses, e.g.

CHIV_VAL C
CHIV_VAL 2.516 CA
CHIV_VAL -2.622 CB

This restrains the chiral volume of the carbonyl carbon to be
zero (the default) with a default esd (0.1 A^3), i.e. restrains
it to be planar. CB is not chiral for valine, but the above
restraint makes sure that CG1 and CG2 are named conventionally
(the RSCB now use this idea to check the naming of H-atoms in
CH2 groups, which is one of the reasons why I always remove the
hydrogens before depositing the structure (they are always
recalculated anyway before use, e.g. by MolProbity). And
if you wanted all the alpha-carbons for the alanines to have
the same chiral volume but would like to refine its value, a
SHELX 'free-variable' can be used (here #3):

CHIV_ALA 31 CA

(i.e. 1*fv(3)); if there is a D-Ala in the structure as well:

CHIV_DAL 29 CA

(i.e. -1*fv(3)). I think that I will have to add all this to
Kay's Wiki.

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,