Hi,

Not my structure, but noticed similar bond in glycerol dehydratase, when comparing structures. PMID: 16414072

pdb 1R9E and resid 506. (resolution 2.4 Å)

Buried rather hydrophobic environment and Asp make H-bonds to serine hydroxyl and carbonyl.

~L~

Lari Lehtiö
Pharmacy, Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacy
Åbo Akademi University,
BioCity, FIN-20520 Turku
Finland
+358 2 215 4270

Quoting b...@freesurf.fr:

Hi Frank,

such interactions are certainly possible, in particular if additional
H-bonding side chains are available to stabilize the arrangement. I'm not
aware of any examples involving main chain carbonyls, but for a discussion
of carbonyl-carbonyl side chain interactions see the following paper:

Flocco, M.M. and Mowbray, S.L. (1995) Strange Bedfellows: Interactions
between Acidic Side-Chains in Proteins, J. Mol. Biol. 254 96-105

Best wishes, Sebastiaan Werten.