Hello everyone,

I would like to install a system virtual machine to run Ubuntu Linux as a guest OS on a 32-bit Vista laptop. The idea is to allow occasional use of crystallographic refinement programs while I'm away from lab. The laptop has an Intel Core 2 duo processor (2.0 GHz) and 3 GB RAM. There are popular software programs available (VMWare, Parallels, VirtualBox, etc.), but is anyone aware of any considerations that would make one better for the above purposes? For example, will one offer easy control over distributing hardware resources to prevent crippling Vista while running refinement within the guest Linux? My Google and CCP4bb searches have not turned up anything so far.

Thanks in advance for any advice or reference material. I will post a summary e-mail as well.

Best Regards,
-Andy Torelli

Andrew T. Torelli Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Associate
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology
Cornell University