From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of
HanJie_HCT Tai
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:27 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] How to improve crystal which is twinning?

Hi,

I have a 22kDa protein that the floopy N & C terminus have been deleted. It
was crystallized in 35%MPD/0.1m Tris (pH 8.5)/0.2M/(NH4)2SO4 in 2 - 3 days.
Previously, a few small twining crystals were grown in this condition.

I tried Hampton Research 96-additive screen . Additives such as glycerol,
dioxane, etc didn't work well to improve/reduce twining issue.

The 0.3% DMSO is the best additive I found that can grow a single crystal in
the 1(pro)+0.8(buff)+0.2(add) drop.

However, If looking careful under microscope it may be some other crystals
growing inside that single crystal(hardly see under the microscope, but I
can see it in other drops). I conducted the x-ray diffraction experiment for
this 0.1x 0.1 mm crystal for which no cryoprotectant is required. The
highest resolution is 2A but there are a lot of smear on the diffraction
pattern.  Thus, the index procedures failed due to the crystal quality.

Do you have any brilliant ideas to improve the crystal growing condition in
my case in order to get a truly single crystal?

regards,
Heng

  _____

Windows LiveT: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
<http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_BR_life_in_synch_052009>