Dear All

I got recently a comment on a paper review suggesting me to perform CD spectroscopy to determine the alpha-helical content of a mutant protein involved in a human disease. The diferences between the wild type and the mutant protein are just 17 aminoacids. My question is if CD spectroscopy could detect secondary structure differences between the wild-type and the mutant proteins based on this aminoacid difference. Let's say, is it possible to detect by CD the presence or absence of a 17 aa helix in a protein of 400 aa.

I would appreciate your opinion

All the best

Francisco J. Enguita
ITQB