The SIGMAA program has since it was written in the 80's (mainly by Randy
of course, but also in part by Eleanor I believe?) used only 1 phase
column (= PHIC) for the case where the phases of FWT & DELFWT are equal
to PHIC: obviously if they are unequal (e.g. as a result of phase
combination) then additional phase columns are needed.  The FWT & DELFWT
columns may be negative, and (to my knowledge) this has never caused a
single problem.  In fact when I wrote the original CCP4 interface to
Lynn ten Eyck's FFT I specifically ensured that negative amplitudes did
not cause any problems.  Since programs such as Refmac were developed
*after* Sigmaa it's hard to understand the basis of this irrational fear
of negative numbers!

According to Wikipedia the ancient Greeks didn't accept the existence of
negative numbers either, in fact to quote from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_numbers#History

"For a long time, negative solutions to problems were considered
"false". In Hellenistic Egypt, Diophantus in the third century A.D.
referred to an equation that was equivalent to 4x + 20 = 0 (which has a
negative solution) in Arithmetica, saying that the equation was
absurd.".

Hopefully we've come a long way since then!

Cheers

-- Ian

On
> Behalf Of Eleanor Dodson
> Sent: 18 June 2009 09:50
> To: Dirk Kostrewa
> Cc: CCP4BB@jiscmail.ac.uk
> Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] [COOT] Novel maps...
>
> Well, it makes for consistency between the output when there is not,
and
> is, exptl phase information - in the 2nd case the PHWT is a weighted
> derivative of the two phase estimates.
>
>  You could get away with just one of PHWT and PHDELWT since they can
> only differ bu 180, but that would require writing mFO-DFC as a signed
> number , and there were concerns about what programs would do with
> negative "F" estimates at one point..
>    Eleanor
>

>   Dirk Kostrewa wrote:
> > Dear Eleaonor and CCP4ers,
> >
> > I always wondered, why there are phase columns PHWT, PHDELWT
(Refmac)
> > or PH2FOFCWT, PHFOFCWT (phenix.refine) in addition to the PHIC
column
> > of the atomic model. In absence of other phase information, the
phase
> > should come from the atomic model, only.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Dirk.
> >
> > Am 18.06.2009 um 10:24 schrieb Eleanor Dodson:
> >
> >> It would be a cock-up  map. Unless there is exptl phasing
> >>
> >> PHDELWT = PHIC  when mFo-DFc is positive, and mFo-DFc is negative
it
> >> equals PHIC + 180

> > *******************************************************
> > Dirk Kostrewa
> > Gene Center, A 5.07
> > Ludwig-Maximilians-University
> > Feodor-Lynen-Str. 25
> > 81377 Munich
> > Germany
> > Phone:     +49-89-2180-76845
> > Fax:     +49-89-2180-76999
> > E-mail:    kostr...@lmb.uni-muenchen.de
> > *******************************************************

Disclaimer
This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information
intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed
except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended
recipient you must not review, use, disclose, copy, distribute or take any
action in reliance upon it. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify Astex Therapeutics Ltd by emailing
i.tic...@astex-therapeutics.com and destroy all copies of the message and any
attached documents.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd monitors, controls and protects all its messaging
traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy. The Company accepts no
liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and
attachments having left the Astex Therapeutics domain.  Unless expressly
stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of
Astex Therapeutics Ltd. The recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of computer viruses. Astex Therapeutics Ltd
accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment,
and tampering, Astex Therapeutics Ltd only send and receive e-mails on the
basis that the Company is not liable for any such alteration or any
consequences thereof.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd., Registered in England at 436 Cambridge Science Park,
Cambridge CB4 0QA under number 3751674