Hi Jonathan,

This is purely a chemistry guess, but if you have a PEG400 derived compound
like:

(HO)-CH2-CH2-O-CH2-CHO,

i.e, part oxidised, then the CHO might form a N,O acetal ring with the free
amine and side chain. Five membered ring formation is kinetically
favourable, though the chemistry might be a bit unlikely at your pH.

Cheers, Partha

--
MRC National Institute for Medical Research
Division of Molecular Structure