Ian

Thanks for the quick reply. I enclose the missing kappa=90 slice. It is on the same scale as the kappa=180 slice. The log doesn't report any peaks for the kappa=90 slice (using a 10 sigma cutoff). The unit cell parameters are 104.63 104.63 109.80, 90 90 120 and based on the contents of my molecule, matthews_coeff is 2.34 with 64% solvent content for 4 molecules per asu. 4-fold ncs it is then?

Thanks

FR

On Jul 21, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Ian Tickle wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk [mailto:owner- ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk]
On
Behalf Of Francis E Reyes
Sent: 21 July 2009 22:22
To: ccp4bb@jiscmail.ac.uk
Subject: Self Rotation map in R32?

Hi all

I'm trying to understand why there is a peak that is perpendicular to
the c axis on my kappa = 180  and kappa = 90?

On the kappa = 180 section they are the 3 crystallographic 2-folds perp
to the cryst 3-fold parallel to c.

On kappa = 90 a peak would be a 4-fold but since there's no obviously no crystallographic 4-fold in R32, that would imply 4-fold NCS, which would
be unusual.  You didn't post your kappa=90 section so we can't tell if
it really is a significant peak.

The chapter entitled "Characterizing a Crystal From an Initial Native
Dataset" from Sawaya says that R32 shouldn't have a central peak in
kappa = 180 nor 90.

Not sure what you mean by 'central peak', the peak in the middle of the
kappa=180 section is the crystallographic 3-fold so that's unavoidable
in R32. Again any peak on kappa=90 would depend on what kind of NCS you
have.  How many mols/a.u. do you estimate?

HTH!

-- Ian

Disclaimer
This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended recipient you must not review, use, disclose, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Astex Therapeutics Ltd by emailing i.tic...@astex-therapeutics.com and destroy all copies of the message and any attached documents. Astex Therapeutics Ltd monitors, controls and protects all its messaging traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy. The Company accepts no liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and attachments having left the Astex Therapeutics domain. Unless expressly stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of Astex Therapeutics Ltd. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of computer viruses. Astex Therapeutics Ltd accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment, and tampering, Astex Therapeutics Ltd only send and receive e-mails on the basis that the Company is not liable for any such alteration or any consequences thereof. Astex Therapeutics Ltd., Registered in England at 436 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge CB4 0QA under number 3751674

Francis Reyes M.Sc.
215 UCB
University of Colorado at Boulder

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 67BA8D5D

8AE2 F2F4 90F7 9640 28BC  686F 78FD 6669 67BA 8D5D