Hi all,

I am doing initial crystallization screening for a membrane protein purified
in DDM.  The actual concentration of DDM in the protein solution is >> 2 CMC
after the protein concentration step (Amicon MWCO 50 kD used).  I just found
over 50 conditions out of 1000 give me crystals.  Having worked on soluble
proteins, frankly they all look ugly to me to different degrees.  I have
selected a few conditions to go after, hoping that they will grow big enough
for me to verify the crystal identity by gels.  I wonder if there is a quick
way to tell if they are detergent crystals.  I know a microscope with UV
capacity would do the job, but we probably will not get one very soon.  I
have read through all threads on CCP4BBS regarding detergent crystals.  I
have an impression that it is actually not easy to crystallize
detergents--please correct me if I am wrong.  Your thoughts and comments are
helpful.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Best regards,