Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] Im Auftrag von Brad
Bennett
Gesendet: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:06 AM
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: [ccp4bb] Disulfide bond "survival" in the presence of DTT?

Hi all-
Got a perplexing thiol chemistry/phasing issue. To prevent non-native
disulfide bonds from forming between free Cys but to preserve native
disulfides, I have heard of using a very low (say < 0.5 mM) concentration of
DTT. I've recently come across a paper where the assignment of 3 disulfides
in a protein structure was carried out by calculating a 4A resolution
anomalous difference map (detecting the sulfur anomalous signal with 1.7A
x-rays).  However, at every step in the protein prep and in the
crystallization solution, there exists mM concentrations of DTT. Every
protein is different, so the microenvironment and the protection of a
disulfide will be different for every one you come across. But I am
surprised that a disulfide can "withstand" that much DTT. I guess the proof
is in the pudding, which would be the anomalous peaks observed in the maps.
What is the upper limit on DTT (or B-ME or TCEP) concentration that people
have used and still maintained native disulfides?

Thanks-
Brad