I didnt realize the following:

You read in images from the two wedges  collected with the same
crystal orientation.

mydata_1_###.img
mydata_101_###.img

Now when you index ,if you say use images from both "datasets"
mydata_1_###.img use image 1,90
mydata_101_###.img use image 30 , 120

The matrix for the second wedge (mydata_101_###.img)  is still marked unknown?
Isnt this different from the behaviour in the X- mosflm . SHould the
matrixes be the same since the orientation was calculated using images
from both.

Now , If I did not force the second wedge to have the same matrix ,
using the save to file and read from file method you just described ,
does the new imosflm use the last calculated matrix from the running
session or calculate a new matrix ?..I guess I have to check some of
the data I processed with my erroneous assumption to make sure that
the matrixes for the two wedges are the same .

Thanks for clarifying this..
hari