Hi Antonio,

My question is how can I determine which water is needed, which is not needed?

may be this will give you some clues - here are the approximate criteria for water picking that are used in automatic water picking and refinement in phenix.refine:

1) peak at mFo-DFc map is higher than ~3sigma, and
2) peak center is within a hydrogen bond to another atom (water or macromolecule), and 3) peak has approximately the same shape as a water molecule would have at this resolution and local environment, and
4) peak at 2mFo-DFc is higher than ~1.5 sigma,

after a round of coordinate and B-factor refinement,

the criteria (2-3-4) are still ok, and

5) refined B-factor of newly placed water is meaningful (didn't jump to large value), otherwise a water is deleted.

There are a few other technical tricks to make this process robust and efficient at high resolution, higher than ~1.2A or so, but this is, I guess, beyond of what you were asking about.

Pavel.