From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Dale
Tronrud
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 9:37 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Disorder vs configuration alternation

Dear Jin,

   As a conceptional issue, I don't see the different between "disorder"
and "alternating configuration".  Disorder is present, at a site, when several
alternative conformations have nearly equal energies resulting in some
molecules adopting one conformation while others adopt others.
Each of the molecules has an energetically sound conformation, but the density,
being an average, is confusing and difficult to interpret.

   Your description does not seem to indicate any disorder.  You report that
each copy adopts a particular torsion angle, indicated clearly by your density.
 That's not disorder, it is just the observation that ncs related copies in the
asymmetric unit differ from one another, and that is not unexpected.

   I'm not too interested in the rms differences between the other parts of the
active site.  Individual differences can be masked by the averaging in such a
calculation.  What is more interesting is if these COOH groups make different
hydrogen bonds in each copy.  If small changes in the acitve site change the
interactions with this group, causing it to rotate, and this is important to
catalysis, you have an interesting story - Several points along the reaction
pathway in one crystal structure.  If the COOH group makes no hydrogen bonds
then the relevance of this observation to understanding the enzyme is murky.

Dale