Dear Scott,

If you're looking for rock-bottom prices I would try scouting a few used
equipment dealers. Also consider asking major brand sales people to quote
you for a 'floor model' or a 'demo model' - very often these are deeply
discounted.

With respect to brands - I personally have tried a number of various
binocular 'macroscopes' and to me the brand makes little difference - what
does matter to me is the sample field depth (i.e. how much space you can
have to work in) and the size/sturdiness of the base - some binocular scopes
have ridiculously small bases which make it difficult to work with plates
safely - in most cases this problem can be solved by using a special table,
but it's not an elegant solution.

Artem

"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if
the sand were stone"

 Jorge Luis Borges

  _____