Dear Wulf,
I have had a similar experience recently when water treatment in SHELXL
became a nightmare - as you say they
started shifting away even if those were clear water sites. I have not found
a final solution to this but
I was not worried by those where density "disappeared" - those were the weak
ones anyway so I attributed this behaviour to the different refinement
algorithm and treatment of bulk solvent etc.

I still believe that this is related to the max. likelihood vs. conjugated
gradients and FFT vs. full summation Fourier and bulk solvent treatment in
those programs.
My way was to leave this water fiddling to the very last cycle and not let
them go away too much.
Those that went completely wrong were deleted.

I wish I had a more satisfying answer.

Jan

--
Jan Dohnalek, Ph.D