Forgot to hit the "Reply all" button (sorry :-( )
--- Begin Message ---
Katja Schleider wrote:
Hi everybody,

sorry for my off-topic question. I got small initial crystals in 200mM NaSulfat and 20% PEG 3350. There is no buffer in this condition. How can I optimize these crystals? Just vary the PEG concentration? Or should I add a buffer; or vary the pH of the buffer the proteinsolution was in?

Thank you and best regards,

Katja

Hi Katja,

What we usually do here (IBS/LBM) is optimisation manually in 24 wells plates. Usually pH vs precipitant concentration (for this you need a buffer). Since you have crystals already, I would try to see if varying the precipitant is enough (who knows, you might be lucky). If the crystals we obtain are not of sufficient quality, we go on with the 3 additive screens from Hampton Research, also manually (droplets of 2 microl + 2 microl + 0.5 microl additive). This (additive screen) can be done by robotics too.

Fred.

--- End Message ---