Jim's point is well taken and can perhaps be generalised to say one is
limited either by the crystal or by the set up for recording the
diffraction. To optimise things it is useful to know where the limits
are.

With some tightly focused synchrotron beams you can also see your spots
getting larger as you increase the detector distance because the focused
beam can have a high divergence. By having a low divergence, one can
gain on spot to background ratio by moving the detector further away. To
fully exploit this, a larger detector (more angular resolution elements)
is needed. The gain of having a lower divergence beam and larger
detector will continue until dominated by the divergence introduced by
the crystal (James Holton has probably covered this somewhere in his
emails - I only read the bit about the beer!).

One could however go further as the divergence due to the crystal will
not be smooth but will contain some structure describing the crystal
disorder (e.g. domain structure). By matching the beam divergence and
detector angular resolution to this structure one should be able to
record this and get a still better ratio of spot intensity to
background.

The limit is to illuminate the crystal with a coherent beam and record
the scattering with an angular resolution appropriate to the whole
crystal. One would then reconstruct the crystal from the oversampled
scattering and average the unit cell contents in real space. It would
allow one to properly handle disorder and "background" from the crystal.

Most people would say that this last suggestion is way in the future and
perhaps not worth doing. However, it is being investigated by those
interested in looking at sub micron (nano) crystals with coherent x-ray
sources.

  Colin