Simon Kolstoe wrote:
1. Can the map averaging function in coot cope with averaging across twenty monomers

Yup. Just tries it with 1c9s (22-fold ncs)
The 'all' button is handy for turning off the 19 maps you aren't interested in, then turning on the one you are.
The averaged density will appear over the A chain.

or is there another better program to use?

:)

2. What program can I use to generate the nineteen NCS symmetry operators and then apply them to the monomer I am building? I’m guessing I’ll need a script to do this - is there a webpage/tutorial that explains how to do what I imagine must be a fairly common procedure?

Coot'll do it all for you - no script or matrices required.

Extensions/NCS/Copy NCS chain.

Kevin

p.s. Coot 0.6 out today!!!