Hello,

May the pouch of your Holiday Wombat overflow with presents!

I would like to draw your attention to a summer internship in our lab at
Monsanto. If you are an interested student, or know someone who may be
interested - please apply using
http://www.monsanto.com/careers/opportunities/ and the requisition
number "000W8".
Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions - however in order to
actually apply you *must* use the web site.

Full description follows at the end of this email. I only wish that we had
more of these internships available!

Artem

Protein Science Intern (St. Louis, MO)-000W8
Job Description
We currently have an opening for a Summer Intern in Structural Biology and
protein biochemistry. This is an excellent opportunity for a fledgling
scientist to work on challenging projects and to learn advanced skills in
protein expression, purification, and crystallization. Working under the
guidance of a research scientist the prospective candidate will be given an
opportunity to contribute his/her work towards an important project related
to Monsanto's agricultural technologies. The opportunity to publish results
in a peer-reviewed journal may also become available. The duration of the
appointment is structured to last 8-10 weeks with 40 hr per week commitment
during the Summer months of 2010. This position will be located at Monsanto
Chesterfield facility in St. Louis.

Responsibilities

·       Design and perform complex molecular biology and biochemistry
experiments under close supervision of a senior scientist
·       Study pertinent scientific literature and apply the knowledge to
experimental design
·       Participate in the writing of reports and other documents as
appropriate
·       Present research findings to the Structural Biology team at the end
of the assignment
·       Document research in accordance with Monsanto record-keeping
policies
·       Comply with all relevant safety practices

Qualifications

Required skills/experience

·       A creative and flexible approach to work
·       The desire to excel in a biology-related scientific discipline
·       Two or more completed years of college with a demonstrated intent to
pursue graduate studies in a biology-related arena
·       Completed basic biology, chemistry, biochemistry coursework
·       Practical understanding of the basis of biological science
·       Good basic wet lab skills
·       Good basic computer skills
·       Basic record-keeping skills

Desired skills/experience

·       Demonstrated skills in basic experimental design
·       Practical experience with cloning and expression of recombinant
proteins
·       Exposure to advanced laboratory skills
·       Basic understanding of the elements of protein structure