On Dec 29, 2009, at 14:54, Phil Evans wrote:

I'd like to thank the ARP/wARP team for the new version, and making it now accept space groups such as P 2 21 21 ...

Thanks!

... but the Wilson plot test still fails on all datasets, even really good ones!

Has anyone ever found a dataset that passes their test?

Yep! I have one! Its from 1993, X11 at Hamburg.
Apparently I have forgotten to collect data ever since!
Or my crystals are all ($...@$&^...@%&@$%#&%@&$@).

Besides joking, the Wilson check might indeed be a bit too stringent (read with British accent please, its an understatement).

I find it useful for one major reason:
I forces me to look at the Wilson plot easily, and compare it to the 'ideal' one, an option that is available in many other places, but not so often used by many people. This somehow throws it on me every time, and its a good and easy opportunity to check it. Even if I most often decide there's nothing wrong with it, its useful to look at.

All these said, after looking at it once for a certain dataset, it can become slightly irritating, so the Wilson plot check can be disabled from 'ARP/wARP parameters', and if anyone feels really constantly irritated by it and cannot stand it, (first consider taking a long vacation ... its not that annoying) and then edit the file:

$CCP4I_TOP/tasks/arp_warp.def

and change the 'logical' line:

CHECK_WILSON    _logical                0

I will not reveal the default in my laptop installation, but lets say I was in need for long vacation for a while ... which I am sort of enjoying now, besides the efforts of H1/N1 to facilitate the opposite.

Best wishes to all for the new year!

Tassos

Happy New Year
Phil