Hi

I, too, was struck by the potential similarity with Rietveld refinement, then started to think about the differences. The biggest difference, of course, is refining against "many" two-dimensional images compared to refining against a linear plot - so I'd guess in principle you'd get a big benefit in increasing the data:parameter ratio.

Of course, there's a hint above in the "refinement" part of the process; you need the structure and a model for the causes of the diffuse scatter etc to have something to refine against, so it may still be worthwhile extracting the Bragg intensities first to solve your structure.

(I've never done Rietveld refinement, but read a good book on the topic a few years ago - "The Riteveld Method" ed R.A. Young. It might be a little out of date now...)