From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of
Ezra Peisach
Sent: 26 January 2010 16:01
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Crystal rescue

First you need to establish if it is your cryo conditions or the
crystals.  Depending where you are - they might have the equipment to do

a wet mount - without freezing.  Yes the crystal will not last - but
then you know if the problem is in the
crystal.  If it is - you need better crystals.  If it is the cryo - you
need to work on that.  Tacsimate is mixture of alot of different
compounds - but the smears are too close together to be a small salt
crystal on top...

Good luck,

Ezra

On 1/26/2010 10:42 AM, Zhiyi Wei wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I got a problem with my crystals. I have two total different proteins
> that both can be crystallized in the condition with PEG3350 and
Tacsimate
> (although the concentrations are different) with different shapes. The
> crystals look big and beautiful. However, when I test them in
synchrotron,
> both of these two types of crystals showed poor diffractions. As
showed in
> the attached diffraction image, the diffraction is up to ~4 A but
smear in
> one direction while<8 A in the other direction. The interesting thing
is
> that the diffraction pattern is similar for all crystals (from two
different
> proteins) that I tested without exception although they belong to
different
> space groups. So, I wonder whether these kind of pattern is caused by
> Tacsimate (I don't know what it is) and how to rescue these crystals.
Any