On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 00:14 -0500, Xun Lu wrote:
>        So, how can I tell Refmac not to sacrifice the geometry of DNA
> to fit my poor density? Or, how to fix the DNA (just like in CNS)?
> Anyone could share their experience and tricks about dealing with
> DNA?

Xun,

I needed once to restrain the proper Watson-Crick pairing in the
structure where density was poor and DNA had the tendency to blow up
near the sticky ends.  Things may have changed since , but at the time I
followed Garib's suggestion to use external restraints file.  I attach
the refmac command file and external restraints that I used, review and
edit to your needs.

HTH,

Ed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore

external distance first chain D residue  23 atom O4 second chain C residue  23
atom N6 value 2.95 sigma 0.01 symm Y
external distance first chain D residue  23 atom N3 second chain C residue  23
atom N1 value 2.82 sigma 0.01 symm Y
external distance first chain D residue  23 atom O4 second chain C residue  23
atom N1 value 3.63 sigma 0.01 symm Y
external distance first chain D residue  23 atom O2 second chain C residue  23
atom N6 value 5.40 sigma 0.01 symm Y
external distance first chain D residue  22 atom O6 second chain C residue   1
atom N4 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  22 atom N1 second chain C residue   1
atom N3 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  22 atom N2 second chain C residue   1
atom O2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  22 atom N2 second chain C residue   1
atom N3 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  22 atom O6 second chain C residue   1
atom O2 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  21 atom O4 second chain C residue   2
atom N6 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  21 atom N3 second chain C residue   2
atom N1 value 2.82 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  21 atom O4 second chain C residue   2
atom N1 value 3.63 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  21 atom O2 second chain C residue   2
atom N6 value 5.40 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  20 atom N4 second chain C residue   3
atom O6 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  20 atom N3 second chain C residue   3
atom N1 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  20 atom O2 second chain C residue   3
atom N2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  20 atom N3 second chain C residue   3
atom N2 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  20 atom O2 second chain C residue   3
atom O6 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  19 atom O6 second chain C residue   4
atom N4 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  19 atom N1 second chain C residue   4
atom N3 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  19 atom N2 second chain C residue   4
atom O2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  19 atom N2 second chain C residue   4
atom N3 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  19 atom O6 second chain C residue   4
atom O2 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  18 atom N6 second chain C residue   5
atom O4 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  18 atom N1 second chain C residue   5
atom N3 value 2.82 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  18 atom N1 second chain C residue   5
atom O4 value 3.63 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  18 atom N6 second chain C residue   5
atom O2 value 5.40 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  17 atom O6 second chain C residue   6
atom N4 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  17 atom N1 second chain C residue   6
atom N3 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  17 atom N2 second chain C residue   6
atom O2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  17 atom N2 second chain C residue   6
atom N3 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  17 atom O6 second chain C residue   6
atom O2 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  16 atom N6 second chain C residue   7
atom O4 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  16 atom N1 second chain C residue   7
atom N3 value 2.82 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  16 atom N1 second chain C residue   7
atom O4 value 3.63 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  16 atom N6 second chain C residue   7
atom O2 value 5.40 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  15 atom N4 second chain C residue   8
atom O6 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  15 atom N3 second chain C residue   8
atom N1 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  15 atom O2 second chain C residue   8
atom N2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  15 atom N3 second chain C residue   8
atom N2 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  15 atom O2 second chain C residue   8
atom O6 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  14 atom N6 second chain C residue   9
atom O4 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  14 atom N1 second chain C residue   9
atom N3 value 2.82 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  14 atom N1 second chain C residue   9
atom O4 value 3.63 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  14 atom N6 second chain C residue   9
atom O2 value 5.40 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  13 atom O4 second chain C residue  10
atom N6 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  13 atom N3 second chain C residue  10
atom N1 value 2.82 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  13 atom O4 second chain C residue  10
atom N1 value 3.63 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  13 atom O2 second chain C residue  10
atom N6 value 5.40 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  12 atom O6 second chain C residue  11
atom N4 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  12 atom N1 second chain C residue  11
atom N3 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  12 atom N2 second chain C residue  11
atom O2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  12 atom N2 second chain C residue  11
atom N3 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  12 atom O6 second chain C residue  11
atom O2 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
# Pair mismatch: D 11:D1P---  G:C 12
external distance first chain D residue  10 atom N6 second chain C residue  13
atom O4 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  10 atom N1 second chain C residue  13
atom N3 value 2.82 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  10 atom N1 second chain C residue  13
atom O4 value 3.63 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue  10 atom N6 second chain C residue  13
atom O2 value 5.40 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   9 atom N4 second chain C residue  14
atom O6 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   9 atom N3 second chain C residue  14
atom N1 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   9 atom O2 second chain C residue  14
atom N2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   9 atom N3 second chain C residue  14
atom N2 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   9 atom O2 second chain C residue  14
atom O6 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   8 atom O4 second chain C residue  15
atom N6 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   8 atom N3 second chain C residue  15
atom N1 value 2.82 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   8 atom O4 second chain C residue  15
atom N1 value 3.63 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   8 atom O2 second chain C residue  15
atom N6 value 5.40 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   7 atom N4 second chain C residue  16
atom O6 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   7 atom N3 second chain C residue  16
atom N1 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   7 atom O2 second chain C residue  16
atom N2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   7 atom N3 second chain C residue  16
atom N2 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   7 atom O2 second chain C residue  16
atom O6 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   6 atom O6 second chain C residue  17
atom N4 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   6 atom N1 second chain C residue  17
atom N3 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   6 atom N2 second chain C residue  17
atom O2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   6 atom N2 second chain C residue  17
atom N3 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   6 atom O6 second chain C residue  17
atom O2 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   5 atom O4 second chain C residue  18
atom N6 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   5 atom N3 second chain C residue  18
atom N1 value 2.82 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   5 atom O4 second chain C residue  18
atom N1 value 3.63 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   5 atom O2 second chain C residue  18
atom N6 value 5.40 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   4 atom N4 second chain C residue  19
atom O6 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   4 atom N3 second chain C residue  19
atom N1 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   4 atom O2 second chain C residue  19
atom N2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   4 atom N3 second chain C residue  19
atom N2 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   4 atom O2 second chain C residue  19
atom O6 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   3 atom N6 second chain C residue  20
atom O4 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   3 atom N1 second chain C residue  20
atom N3 value 2.82 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   3 atom N1 second chain C residue  20
atom O4 value 3.63 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   3 atom N6 second chain C residue  20
atom O2 value 5.40 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   2 atom N4 second chain C residue  21
atom O6 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   2 atom N3 second chain C residue  21
atom N1 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   2 atom O2 second chain C residue  21
atom N2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   2 atom N3 second chain C residue  21
atom N2 value 3.65 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   2 atom O2 second chain C residue  21
atom O6 value 5.42 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   1 atom N4 second chain C residue  22
atom O6 value 2.91 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   1 atom N3 second chain C residue  22
atom N1 value 2.95 sigma 0.01
external distance first chain D residue   1 atom O2 second chain C residue  22
atom N2 value 2.86 sigma 0.01